Lički forum
Lički forum ZK Stajnica  
Rujan 19, 2019, 10:15:39 *
Dobrodošli, Gost. Molimo, prijavite se ili se registrirajte.

Prijavite se korisničkim imenom, lozinkom i duljinom prijave
 
 Stranica: [1]
  Ispis  
Autor Tema: About Otocac  (Posjeta: 18769 )
0 Članova i 1 Gost pregledava ovu temu.
stenta
Administrator
Novi član
*****
Offline Offline

Spol: Muški
Postova: 767



Profil Email
« : Rujan 21, 2006, 05:12:11 »

OTOČAC, a town in the north-western part of Lika; situated at the river Gacka, in the western part of the field bearing the same name, named after the early Croatian parish.

The text of the famous Baška Tablet (around 1100) quotes that the church of St. Nicholas in Otočac was a part of the order community with the church of St. Lucy in Jurandvor on the island of Krk. From 1300 a property of the Frankopans. Sigismund Frankopan founded there a diocese (1461-1535) with the church of St. Nicholas. The settlement with a defence tower, at a winding of the river Gacka, was protected by a fortification with towers (after demolition in 1829, only parts of it remained preserved). For the purpose of a safer defence, a castle of the Renaissance concept ("Fortica") was built in 1619, with a triangular layout of the cylindrical towers (ruins above the town). From 1746 Otočac was the headquarters of a regiment. From the period of Vojna Krajina (Croatian Military Border) a number of harmonious, simple, mostly two-storey houses originate. The Baroque parish church of the Holy Trinity erected in 1684 (restored in 1774) is a large one-nave building with rounded sanctuary; three side chapels are on each side of the nave. The bell -tower rises from the main front. The late Baroque and classicist furnishing of the church includes seven altars, a pulpit, baptismal font and sepulchral slabs from the 18th century.

Brlog, a village in the lower basin of the river Gacka, 12 km northwest of Otočac. There are numerous prehistoric tumuli and hill-forts in the village and its surroundings - settlements and necropolises of the Illyrian-Celtic Iapodes. Brlog must have been a Roman settlement called Avendo (ruins of walls and bricks, tombstones). The mediaeval fortified burg in Brlog (today a ruin) had a square ground-plan. The ruins of Gusić-grad, conquered by the Turks in 1575, lie near the village.

Dabar, a village on the edge of the field bearing the same name, 21 km northeast of Otočac. The ruins of a fortress called by the folk Sokolić rise on Vučjak hill; it has a square ground-plan and one cylindrical angle tower. First mentioned in 1499 as a fortress of the Frankopans, remained a borderline stronghold until the Turks were expelled from Lika. In 1773 already a "completely demolished town".

Drenov Klanac, a village 15 km northwest of Otočac. Graves from the early and late Iron Age were found in an Iapodian necropolis, containing many pieces of jewellery (bronze collars, pectoral). - In the 17th century Petar Zrinski had the Šimšanovka Tower erected, with a ring-formed ground-plan (today a ruin).

Podum, a village 3 km east of Otočac. The graveyard includes the ruins of the mediaeval church of St. Mark, which had a square sanctuary. The antique and early Christian fragments built in the church walls originate from the nearby ancient settlement Arupium. Standing plate-shaped tombstones are found on the graveyard.

Prozor, a village 5 km southeast of Otočac. Traces of an antique settlement, later a Roman municipality Arupium, were excavated on the northern slopes of the hill-fort Veliki Vital. The excavations include parts of residential and administration buildings, ruins of a smaller thermal system with preserved floor mosaics and parts of frescos. The system of ancient stone pits and several monuments carved in live rock, especially two monumental Mithraeums with relief-shaped scenes, represent another attraction. The ruins of a mediaeval Frankopan burg, first mentioned in 1449, can be seen on the hill called Prozorina.

Sinac, a village 11 km southeast of Otočac. The archaeological site Gradina on Rudine reveals a prehistoric fortified settlement. Two Mithraeums (altars), carved in live rock, with a relief depicting Mithras Taurocton can be found in the surroundings. - The parish church of St. Elias (1841) houses three Baroque altars; the main altar depicts the patron saint, a work by Fortunato Bergant; the side altar of St. Francis Borgia was erected by Captain Duinović (1768).
Evidentirano
 Stranica: [1]
  Ispis  
 
Skoči na:  

UseBB Port by Gaia Lički forum ZK Stajnica | Powered by SMF 1.1.10. © 2005, Simple Machines LLC. All Rights Reserved.